In 2004, we established the Life Skills Project to help tenants overcome barriers in finding employment and managing their finances better. We promote the learning of new skills and prevent social isolation, by running our own workshops and sign posting tenants to specialist services.
The main focus of the project is to:
- Link people in with employment and training opportunities
- Help to maintain tenancies, budget effectively and manage debts
- Provide benefit advice eg- understanding the Housing Benefit process
- Encourage tenants to live independently and to communicate well with others
Tenants should contact Tom in the office if they are interested in:
- Referrals to the Prince’s Trust, who provide funding and training for people aged 18-30; in order to start a business or learn a trade;
- Ongoing support with CV writing, job applications and enrolling on courses;
- Apply for one off grants and loans to pay for essential household items;
- Housing Benefit calculation sessions;
- Energy reduction visits in order to lower bills or service charges;
- Involvement in the new Tenant Forum;
- Help to set up the new Social Enterprise: Furniture restoration project;
- Participating in Causeway’s video diary about tenants’ experience of London.